Coming from a very meet based culture, I understand that it is not that easy to give up totaly your meet dish. I'm not a vegetarian but somehow intuitively I have been eating less and less meet, limiting my seldom meet bites to bio products from the local market. Below, however, three main reasons why it is a good idea to switch to vegetarian consumption all together. By becoming vegetarian you will:
1) Become more healthy
Did you know that vegetarians.....
- are less prone to high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, kidney failure and cancer
- are far less likely to be overweight
- consume less pesticides and toxins in their food
2) Reduce the environmental footprint
The meat production is responsible for a large share of pollution. It uses considerable resources such as fossil fuels, water, and land. Did you know that the production of ...
- 1 kg wheat requires 1,300 liters of water
- 1 kg eggs needs 3,300 liters of water
- 1 kg broken rice consumes 3,400 liters of water
- but 1 kg beef uses up 15,500 liters of water
You can have a little search of what the production means in terms of oil and land use but I’m warning you, these are not nice numbers.
3) Protect the animals
Here I would like to share with you a video that left me speechless. Watch out you might become vegetarian instantly! I'm serious.
And if you cannot give up meet, perhaps you might want to consider buying from local farms. Bio quality will be better for your health and the environment.